Saturday, June 20, 2015
|60s/70s Fashionista, Linda Morand with Valeria Orlando at FTL Moda 2015|
|Linda Morand with the stark warrior makeup created by Andrea Wild and Valeria Orlando.|
At almost Seventy Years Old, former Ford model, Linda Morand returned to the catwalk for a good cause. An avid supporter of children with Special Needs, and people with disabilities, she was asked to model for the FTL Moda event during Fashion Week in New York City.
at 7:35 PM
Sunday, May 10, 2015
An Important Legacy
“It is not difficult to understand how, in interview after interview, oral history opens up new views of the past. In an interview, the voice of the narrator literally contends with that of the historian for control of the story. For oral history interviews are often quite simply good stories. Like literature, their specificity, their deeply personal, often emotionally resonant accounts of individual experience draw listeners--or readers--in, creating interest and sympathy. Edited carefully they can open the listener to a life very different from his or her own in a non-threatening way.”
HISTORY MATTERS http://historymatters.gmu.edu/mse/oral/interpret.html
"A WALK THROUGH FASHION HISTORY WITH THOSE WHO LIVED IT" © 2014
Oral History Initiative - Multi-Media - Project
Starring FASHION AND BEAUTY ICONS.
DOCUMENTARY / TALK SHOW FORMAT
The History of Modeling
The History of Hairdressing
The History of Make-Up
The History of Couture and Pret a Porter
The History of Fashion and Beauty Photography
The History of Fashion and Beauty Magazines
EVER EVOLVING HISTORY
- Oral history is the systematic collection of living people’s testimony about their own experiences. Historians have finally recognized that the memories of everyday people, not just the rich and famous, have historical significance. This projects presents fascinating stories in an attractive talk show setting with Celebrity Hosts and exciting Narrators (Interviewees/Special Guests)
- Memories, such as these, shared by our Model History members, have great importance to society and to the history of art and design. If we do not collect and preserve those memories, those stories, then one day they will disappear forever and younger generations will just have to guess the truth.
- In this Oral History dozens of Fashion and Beauty Icons of the Fifties, Sixties, Seventies, and Eighties share their eyewitness accounts of working at the top during the innovative mid-Twentieth Century, revealing the treasures of their exceptional experiences from unique insider perspectives.
- In addition to recording the detailed perspectives of the models, photographers, creative artists etc., these interviews typically get at "the story underneath the story," the intricacies of decision-making, the personal rivalries and alliances within the creative teams.
FASHION AND BEAUTY ICONS OF THE 1980s
FASHION AND BEAUTY ICONS OF THE 1990s
- A revolving cast of fashionable Models, Photographers, Archivists, Beauty Artists, Editors, Agents, Authors, and Art Directors narrates the production, shot in a talk show format, with documentary aspects and multimedia displays, including the music of the eras.
- Each episode highlights a different aspect of the History of Fashion and Beauty, which is reflected in the fashionable sets. Historical events, current music, and other relevant topics are touched upon, as fascinating Narrators bring the history of Fashion and Beauty to life.
TWENTIES/THIRTIES/FORTIES MODELING MILESTONES
Modeling by Debutantes
Harry Conover Agency
John Robert Powers
Eileen Ford Becomes Top Agency
Models in the Movies
Eileen Ford Becomes Top Agency
Models in the Movies
FIFTIES MODELING MILESTONES FIRST HAND ACCOUNTS
Eileen Ford Expands Agency
Dorian Leigh Opens Agency in Paris
Suzy Parker Discovered by Ford
Gita Hall First Hand Accounts upon availability.
Ruth Neumann and Gleb Derujinsky for Bazaar upon availability Narrated by Daughter and Curator upon availability
Jean Patchett Super Star – Narrated by Daughter and Nephew (Curators of Extensive Private Archives)
The Models of Chanel’s Cabine
Top Designers of USA and Europe
1960 Influence of Jacqueline Kennedy in US
1964 Scandinavian and German Models Rule
Top Hair and Beauty Artists
Kenneth – Pablo
Episode: 1965 Vidal Sassoon – The Beatles –
Mary Quant THE MINI SKIRT CARNABY STREET to PORTOBELLO ROAD
1966 FUTURISM IN FASHION
Cardin – Couregges – and other Haute Couture
Andy Warhol Pop Art Influence
Music of the Times
Veruschka – Marissa Berenson
SIXTIES MOVIE STARS ON COVERS OF VOGUE
Princess Grace – Liz Taylor- Barbara Streisand- Sophia Lauren - Cher
TWIGGY HITS NEW YORK – Waif Look
PARIS IN THE SIXTIES FIRST HAND ACCOUNTS
Haute Couture – Only a few Houses left.
The Designers: Chanel – Cardin – Patou –Dior- Givenchy- etc.
American Models in Paris Jerry Hall, Grace Jones, More
Nicole de la Marge – The greatest French Photo model
Parisian Magazines Elle – Vogue Paris- l’Officielle
Audrey Hepburn - Givenchy
The Photographers: Horst –Penn- etc.
The Agents -Paris Planning –Catherine Harle – Dorian Leigh
Emergence of John Casablancas who revolutionized the modeling world.
1969 Moon Landing Space Age
Opening of Elite: Playboys Take Over Modeling Industry
Emergence of Milan – Italian Vogue Italian Bazaar
Opening of Prestige Model Agency: Antonio Lopez and Jerry Hall New Agencies – Christa Fiedler
Helmut Newton – Guy Bourdin –Chris von Wagenheim
The French Mafia (Top New Photographers)
Sex and Violence and Nudity in Vogue
Yves St Laurent – Karl Lagerfeld – Chanel
Other Haute Couture Houses.
1969 Black Models Take Center Stage and wow the Parisians in the Seventies as well as the whole fashion world.
Seventies Modeling Moments Firsthand Accounts
ALL FEATURED GUESTS ARE ROLE MODELS, ENGAGED IN GIVING BACK, HELPING OTHERS, EDUCATION, WOMEN'S CAUSES, ANIMAL RIGHTS, EQUAL RIGHTS, CHILDREN’S RIGHTS, HELPING THE HOMELESS AND MANY OTHER CHARITIES.
WHO IS TELLING THE STORIES?
THE INTERVIEWS – Oral Histories
These interviews certainly add to our store of knowledge, particularly illuminating the relationship of the Narrator to iconic Fashion and Beauty creations and major trends. Their Oral Histories eloquently portray the dynamic careers of outstanding individuals, accompanied by brilliant images, footage, and collages.
Brimming with information about the various strategies used to take their place in history, the Narrators articulate the shifts in the power dynamics between the models, the agencies, the designers, the photographers, and the clients throughout the eras. Every interview opens new doors of rare information.
Recounting the experiences, they reveal the treasures of their exceptional experiences as articulate, interested, and intelligent top models who, for a moment or for a lifetime, participated in something rare, creative, and magnificent.
Most interviews focus on definite topics like participation in a specific historically significant photo-shoot or fashion show. Historians, specializing in fashion and beauty history, formulate the well-researched questions. All Narrators (Special Guest/Interviewees) are asked to comment on the careers of other noteworthy individuals. All questions are sent to the Narrator (Interviewee/Guest) beforehand.
Whether they contributed as a model or other industry professional, our Narrators (Special Guests/Interviewees) are understood as purposeful actors in the past and present history of Fashion and Beauty, talking about their lives in ways that illuminate and expand upon preexisting categories of analysis.
This is a living and growing library of priceless Oral History - iconic photographs and film clips used with permission.
1910 Chanel opened a millinery boutique on Rue Cambon in 1918. Chanel was able to acquire the entire building situated in one of the most fashionable districts of Paris. In 1921, she opened what may be considered an early incarnation of the fashion boutique, featuring clothing, hats, and accessories later expanded to offer jewelry and fragrance. By 1927, Chanel owned an expanse of five properties on the rue Cambon, encompassing buildings numbered 23 through 31.
Fashion and Beauty Icons website.
Before the airing, a website will be launched. The current projects, products, charities and biographies of the participants, will be featured with links to their websites if so desired. The website will be an ever-expanding archive of fashion and beauty images with stories.
at 11:34 AM